This delightful bronze sculpture was completed in 1904 by Auguste Rodin and can now be found within the collection of the V&A Museum in central London. It is one of a number of items that was gifted to the institution itself by Rodin in his latter years.
Rodin would spend time in England on several occasions and was well connected to a number of notable French artists who had relocated to London. He became keen to spread his reputation across Europe, perhaps inspired by the Italian masters that he had studied earlier in his career. Having known each other for a number of years, George Wyndham agreed to travel to meet the artist for a series of sittings. They resulted in items such as the sculpture shown in this page. It was